Sunday

Other First-Timers Share Their Experiences


I was blown away upon arrival at the accommodations of the Westin Hotel, after a quick flight up to Chicago, and at the size of the "Love is Murder" conference overall - and by size I mean small...in a good way! I had the opportunity to meet one-on-one with dozens of authors, agents, and editors that I wouldn't have gotten at a bigger conference. And that meant I could ask more questions of the presenters and panelists who offered up a HUGE amount of information during the hour-long topic sessions.

The picture above is of a panel of authors who became published within the last year. There were so many of them! It was especially inspiring for me to hear their stories: how they went through the same steps I am currently going through, such as finding their voice, making the time to write, networking, and ultimately getting the outpourings of their souls in print. Each of their experiences was a little bit different, and it was great to hear the different perspectives. I really wanted to be up there at that table with them!

Some specific tools I got out of the discussion included differnent methods of advertising and the advantages and disadvantages of those mediums: business cards, bookmarks, post cards, table settings, flyers, posters, and even - yes - the backs of recipe cards for brownies and peanut brittle (baked goods attached!). Who said publishing wasn't messy?

I also learned how you should approach someone to talk up your book or to sell it to them. You can't get bogged down with plot or characters, though they are important, and it's better to say "the story is like this popular t.v. show" or "the main guy acts just like that one dude in that last summer blockbuster." (Obviously with the relevant references included!) Mentioning some awards you or the book have won doesn't hurt either.

For first timers, these guys had a lot to teach me, and I'm glad for it. The best part was that all the other info sessions I went to were just as good. But more about that soon. Ttfn.

"Wisdom comes with winters." - Oscar Wilde

No comments:

Post a Comment