Tuesday

Learning to Write from the Masters

This photo (excuse the blurriness!) is of a panel of seasoned authors, all of whom I had the opportunity to meet, get to know, and share contact information with, during a discussion called "Avoiding Cliches in Mystery Novels". Needless to say, the session was both funny and informative. One of the most interesting things I learned is the the "serial-killer villain" is the best-selling antagonist, while the "gun-for-hire villain" is the least profitable. Weird, huh?

This session was just one of the many under the category I labeled as "Writing-based". There were also "Publishing-based" and "Q&A-based" classes as well. Some of the other Writing-based seminars I went to were: "Editing Your Way To Success", "Sex and Murder - How Much Is Too Much?" (women need a reason, men just need a place!), one session on how to insert back story, another on proper pacing, and, my personal favorite, "Food and Murder" (complete with recipes: Devil's Food Cake, Bloody Mary, etc.).

As a writer, these sessions made me look back at my own writing and rethink a lot of the decisions I had made. There was definitely some serious growing-up for me in the way I write, the manner in which I think about writing, and the method I approach the craft. I love writing for the sake of writing, don't get me wrong, because it's a major outlet for me emotionally - but now I see it also as a means to share my therapy with others who may be going through the same things that I am. It would be nice to be inspiring.

Yes, my trip to "Love is Murder" was a fun one, but I think it changed me for the better as a man of letters. I honestly hope everyone gets the chance to experience the thrill of meeting their heroes and of learning from them. There's few words fit to describe the feeling, to be sure.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde

No comments:

Post a Comment