Wednesday

More Cool Seminars!


The "Publishing-based" classes and "Q&A-based" discussions were just as meaningful as the the "Writing-based" ones. The seminars on publishing focused on the ways and means a writer can find a home for his or her work and become an author. Some of these that I went to were: "Agents and Authors, Publishers and Authors - Delicate Relationships", "Location, Location, Location - Why This Matters When It's Time To Sell", and another one explored the "do's" and "don'ts" of pitching one's novel to agents and editors - as much as it pains you, you have to tell them the ending, even if you are writing a mystery like me, haha!

Since I had no prior experience in these areas, I learned a great deal in a short time. The bond between an author/writer and his or her agent/publisher is a special one. Now I know what to expect from my agent when I get one and what my editor will expect from me. Likewise, I found out a lot about marketing - specifically, I discovered that before anyone will buy my book, they have to buy me. By that, I mean an author is expected not only to write the book, but also be an active participant in the sales of said novel. I will have to go to book signings, trade shows, book readings, etc. and act like a salesman, trying to get a buzz going about my work. You can see some people doing this in the picture above at the "Love is Murder" bookstore.

I spoke with a very nice man in the bookstore whose book I bought after asking for some advice. I told him I was interested in his work and intended to buy it, but I also asked if he could approach me as if he weren't having a nice chat so I could see how he sold his book to strangers. Oh, people, he was slick.

First he said hello and said he saw me looking at his book and said he wanted to tell me about it. There was no, 'would you like to listen to me?' crap - he picked up the book, put one of his bookmarks in it advertising his other projects, and handed me the novel - putting his hands behind his back so I couldn't return it, I might add. Then he told me a little about the plot, what T.V. shows and movies his novel was like, what important people had praised about it, and what awards it had won. And it was 'only' twenty bucks, hardcover. Naturally, I thanked him profusely and bought the thing. I'm reading it now, and it's really good!

On another note, the "Q&A-based" seminars were pretty cool, too. These classes centered around career professionals in areas such as private investigation, DNA-based lab testing, police-work, marital arts (for writing good fight scenes!), psychology, etc. Attendees like me got to ask questions of these pros and find gems of information to add to our writing to make it more real and engaging. Though, I might note, not to the extent of being boring and over-informative.

My favorite of these Q&As was the talk with the fighting experts. A professional male boxer and a female master of Aikido, both novelists themselves, duked it out for our benefit while commenting on form and technique. I asked the boxer what it felt like to get hit. He told the group that's one of the things a lot of writers mess up. Most times, it sounds and feels like a dull thud, but usually there isn't time to even think about the pain of it. You have to keep fighting. And there are precious few other thoughts in your mind during a fight, because while you're thinking of something to add to your grocery list, the other guy's gonna break your nose. Good to know!

I recieved a lot of good info to make my writing sound more realistic and accessible, and I'm also aware of the hoops I'll have to jump through to get my book on those bestseller lists. It takes work, but if you know the tricks of the trade for the experts, then you'll feel like me - one step ahead of the competition.

"One shuld always play fairly when on has the winning cards." - Oscar Wilde

No comments:

Post a Comment