Monday

Some Hands-On Research

Since this conference took place in Chicago, I thought it would be a good idea to do some exploring around town. The novel I'm writing is set in Chicago, so obviously a bit of research would do the piece some good. You know, give it that realistic feel and gritty flavor of the city. My first cool experience was riding the Elevated Train into the heart of town. I loved being able to see, as you can in this first picture, into the belly of the city. Making it a point to stand the entire trip, I got my train-riding skills up to the par set by the locals pretty fast. Feet apart, toes splayed out, rocking with the side-to-side and forward-to-backward motions - it was educational!
This second shot is also from the train. If you've ever seen Alfred Hitchcock's Rear Window, then you'll know what it felt like to watch people climb their back stoops with groceries, chill out after work with a beer, or fight bitterly for a parking space on the ground below. Ah, the daily grind.
Here, I'm standing just outside Union Station (it's the building with columns to the right) watching traffic and pedestrians. The cabs are all different colors in Chicago, unlike other cities I've been to with only yellow, black, or white cabs. There's a separate lane for bicycles - another cool thing that sets Chicago apart. It's very biker-friendly, except at rush hours. Then it's every man for himself and woe to anyone who drifts out of their lane. I also noticed the people walk different here, too. In New York, it felt more natural in my experience there to walk bent forward, shouldering people out of the way to get by. Not so in the Windy City. Here, I found people walking with a kind of shuffle/kick, throwing their legs out in wide circles in front of them, as if sweeping the ground to clear away any objects or people. Weird, huh? I'm glad one guy I followed for a few blocks, copying his movements to learn the walk, didn't notice me. Imagine trying to explain that one: "Sorry, sir, I'm doing research for my book..."
I took the time to peer through a fenced-in construction area in the middle of the city to see what they were dong in there. You can see the beginnings of a foundation for a new building surrounded by four skyscrapers. As a mystery fan, I found this an ideal spot for a murder. It's funny, the different things that excite different people.
This is the Chicago River, a lovely shade of green and covered in broken ice. On the other side of this bridge is the Magnificent Mile portion of Michigan Avenue, a great area for shopping. And a great place to learn the ins and outs of the Emerald City.

I felt Chicago to be a great setting for my novel, and I loved getting to know her and her residents a little better. I can't wait to go back and learn more!

"It is the spectator, and not life, that art really mirrors." - Oscar Wilde

No comments:

Post a Comment